A blog about food, travel, sports, finance & anything which interests a common man

Wednesday 13 July 2016

New Age Thinking (Part 4) – Kids are a source of learning – Always encourage their questions

It was a breezy Sunday evening. I was getting prepared to go to my relative’s engagement. My ever smart daughter sensed this within minutes and pestered to join me. The clouds appeared dark and I could smell the sand. The symptoms of rain were clear, so I changed my plans to take a sub urban train to reach the destination instead of taking my bike.

My daughter was all excited to travel in a sub urban train as it was a rarity to her. The moment we boarded the train, she rushed to a window seat. The wind gushed through her face and she was curiously observing every passing object. I allowed her to get sunk in the heavenly moment which gave me a breather from the barrage of questions which she normally posts at me.

As we entered the first station her curiosity meter started ticking. We had the below conversation:

My Kid : Dad , What does MSL stands for?

Me : (Confused with her question) Where did you saw that?

My Kid : I saw that in the name board of the station?

Me : (I was commuting in the same route to my office for the past 4 years and never noticed it. Still I managed to answer her) Baby, that should be the initials of the person who painted the name board.
(I had the satisfaction of answering her question. As we spoke the next station came in)

My Kid : Dad, Even this stations name board was painted by the same person?

Me : Why did you ask that?

My Kid : Even here it was mentioned as MSL and against it some numbers were written.

Me : Yes, it was painted by the same artist.

(Few stations passed by)

My Kid : (She was not convinced with my answer). Dad, still I could see the same MSL in all name boards. Whether the same artist paints all name boards?

(This raised doubts within me and I had a guilty feeling that I dint answer her properly)

Me : Let us watch together in the next station

(As the next approached, I did so. I noticed MSL in the bottom of the name board and against which some numbers were written. I immediately googled it)

Image result for Sub urban station name board
Courtesy : en.wikipedia.org

MSL stands for Mean Sea Level (Average sea level). This means it is the average level for one or more of Earth’s oceans from which heights such as elevations are measured. The number against MSL denotes the height/elevation of the station from the Mean Sea Level. On further research, I identified the station name board has this displayed on it, to notify the common public the height of the place from the sea level. This can go as a reference to tourist in travel brochures to indicate the height of the place from the sea level. MSL is also used in aviation and marine navigation.


It was a new learning to me because of my kid’s curiosity. I have been travelling in the same route for the past 4 years and never noticed\bothered about it. It was good to know information which I shared with my kid later. I laughed to myself when I recalled the answer which I first gave to my daughter.

Never stop your kid’s curiosity. Many a times their questions will be valid. We may either don’t have an answer or don’t want to answer

Image result for Encourage kids quotes

No comments:

Post a Comment