A blog about food, travel, sports, finance & anything which interests a common man

Wednesday 20 July 2016

New Age Thinking (Part-5) – Your kid can be your teacher- Do not tame them

It was a rainy Sunday afternoon in the month of December.  Its monsoon and the chillness could be felt in the air. Trees swinging to the tunes of the wind. Lush greenery all around the place. Birds chirping sounded like melodies to the ears. I was with my family, away from the madding crowd in my native enjoying every moment of life. The feel was so heavenly and I was soaked in the bliss of nature.


The ambience was perfect to have something hot and spicy. So I asked my wife to prepare a piping hot coffee to be served with hot spicy bajji. As my wife prepared it, my daughter and I went to the first floor balcony and sat there to have a good view of the village serenity. My daughter saw a swarm of red ants moving in the railing of our balcony towards their nest at fact pace. Flash came a question “Dad, how come these ants are red in colour when the ones we saw at our home are black?” I answered her stating “There are different types of ants and red ants are one such species

Our chit chat was disturbed by the aroma of coffee and flavor of bajjis which signaled the arrival of my wife to the first floor balcony. I was equally excited like my daughter to have those especially on a rainy afternoon. As we were immersed in the divine taste of the hot and spicy bajjis a chill breeze blew through our face from the farm lands which faced the balcony. The breeze was strong enough which blew the ants. One of the red ants flew and fell in my daughter’s coffee.

Seeing the sequence of events my daughter shouted “Oh, oh, an ant in my coffee”. I replied “No worries baby; the ant won’t spoil your coffee”. The reply which my daughter gave made me feel embarrassed. She said:

“Dad, I’m not worried about the coffee; rather I’m worried about the ant’s life”

Silenced by her answer, I rose from my chair and with concern written all over my face; I dipped my finger in her coffee and carefully lifted the ant. Later I left it near its nest, so that it can feel safe at home. At times, our kids behave in a matured way. It’s we adults who tame them and make them ordinary individuals.

Image result for Image of ant dove story

Later I realized the ant and dove story which is a part of the nursery lessons which made her feel so. We as adults forget the values which our education system taught us and try to behave selfish at times. The lesson which I learned from my daughter that day which strongly etched in my mind was


 “Use things and love life; rather to have things and abuse life”


No comments:

Post a Comment