A blog about food, travel, sports, finance & anything which interests a common man

Tuesday 9 August 2016

What does a Balloon Vendor boy in a train and a Sales Manager of a MNC have in common?

A young boy who was selling balloons in a sub urban train looked like a hero in my eyes. The determination he wore on him was more beautiful than his attire. Amongst us there live many such unsung heroes who are ready to break any hurdles on their way to achieve big in life. This incident happened, on my commute in a sub urban train where I saw this young prodigy.

It was a sunny Saturday afternoon that you could fry an egg in the sidewalk. I had no other option but to step out to complete few of my house hold chores. I forgot to take my English daily which normally keeps me occupied. Thanks to my bad memory due to which for the first time I looked at the outside world on my train commute not through a printed edition rather through a virtual version.

It was just hot breeze which blew through the window on my face. As frustration crept in, I just turned my sights towards my co-passengers. All grown-ups were glued to their gadgets. A family along with their 5 years old kid was the only lively people out there. The naughty kid kept me engaged with her mischief. Midway through my journey, I saw a young boy aged around 12 years boarded my compartment to sell balloons. I felt bad for the boy, as given his age he was forced to do a job.

The young boy was all energy and went ahead with his job. He understood his target audience very well. He dint even made an effort to sell his balloons with others and directly went near the family with the kid. The kid persist her parents to buy which they refused. The boy still approached the girl’s father and offered a balloon. He refused with a lame excuse as he dint have a pink colour.

The boy took a pink colour balloon from his bag. He bettered the deal by offering them a small discount if they buy 2 balloons. The girl’s father succumbed to the deal. Seeing the girl struggling, he blew the balloon for her and tied with a colourful band. What looked like a no-deal few minutes before was converted and he doubled his sale as well.

A good Sales Manager:

I saw the qualities of a good sales manager within him. He was not taken back by refusals. He had the shrewdness of offering discount to double the sales and still maintain his profits. He showcased his customer care by helping the girl in blowing the balloon. All of these were done by a 12 year old. I couldn’t hold my curiosity and I called him with a pretext of buying his balloons. I asked him, “why you have to sell balloons, at this age instead of going to school”. His reply startled me.

People buy Balloons for Entertainment; I sell them for my Education

He proudly said that he was a student of a government school in his locality. His Dad expired and mother’s house keeping income was just enough to support their family needs. There wasn’t a semblance of pessimism I could see in that boy. He makes money to support his education as he was focused to make a great career. I acknowledged his effort by buying a pack of balloons which he had to sell for that day. His eyes glowed and went happily. I’m sure that this boy will make really big one day. The lesson which I learnt that day was:


It’s not the colour but the air within which makes balloon fly high, likewise it is not the external looks but the attitude within will helps us to reach greater heights

Image Courtesy : Balloondownunder.com.au



No comments:

Post a Comment